Other Minnesota State and Local Government sites | Employment Opportunities | Home

Political subdivisions sometimes issue checks that are never cashed or are returned as undeliverable. Under Minnesota’s Unclaimed Property Laws, uncashed and returned checks must generally be reported to the Minnesota Department of Commerce after three years. To learn more, click on the following link to view a Department of Commerce publication:


Additional information about unclaimed property can be found on the Department of Commerce’s website at http://mn.gov/commerce/topics/Unclaimed-Property/.

Date this Avoiding Pitfall was most recently published: 03/23/2012

Privacy Policy | Accessibility Information | © 2016 Office of the Minnesota State Auditor